Monday, September 19, 2011

Blueberry Butter Cake

  "The Black Dog Summer on the Vineyard Cook Book" has been around my kitchen for years, the copyright says 2000 so I am guessing I must have gotten it soon after.  "The Black Dog Cafe" is on Martha's Vineyard and having never been there I am sure my husband picked it up because we had a wonderful black lab named Daphne.  I am sure everyone thinks whatever breed of dog they have that its the best but if you have ever owned a lab you know they really are the best.  You are forever drawn to them & whenever you see one you can never resist going over to them.  This cookbook is filled with stories, quotes, great pictures of the crew, cooking tips and really reads like a book.  I often read cookbooks as though they were a book and this one is a favorite.  The recipes are great and even though we haven't been there it is on my to do list.  I am not a big fan of crowds so will be doing that trip in the off season but will definitely be eating at "The Black Dog" when we get there.  Visiting their site for this blog I see they have a 40th anniversary cookbook out........I'm thinking that I just might need to purchase that.  This cookbook is filled with post it tabs for recipes I refer to often so can only imagine the new book will also.
I wanted to try this coffee cake while the blueberries were in abundance, it hit the spot.

Blueberry Butter Cake


Ingredients:

Cake:
2 3/4 c flour
1 c sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 c buttermilk
1 c melted butter
1 T vanilla
3 c fresh blueberries

Topping:

1/2 c sugar
1/4 c flour
1/4 c cold butter cut into bits
1/2 T cinnamon

1.  Preheat oven to 350°, butter and flour 9 x 13 pan.
2.  Sift the dry ingredients together.
3.  In a large bowl mix all wet ingredients except blueberries.
4. Mix dry and wet ingredients together until just blended.
5.  Spread batter into prepared pan, top with blueberries.
6.  In a small bowl blend topping ingredients, sprinkle over blueberries.
7.  Bake for 50 min.

I added walnuts to mine. Enjoy with a good cup of coffee or tea!


I needed more blueberries, didn't have quite 3 cups.

bake at 350°


Our Daphne <3!



No comments:

Post a Comment