Saturday, July 2, 2011

End of the week Chicken


I buy my fresh vegetables at the beginning of the week and then decide on meals with what I have.  Almost every week by the end of the week I make a meal from what I need to use up.  So when my son asked what was for dinner I just stared at the items I had out to use up and couldn't think of what to call it.  There are always staples on hand onions, carrots, celery, assorted cheese, broth, with those items on hand plus the fresh items the meal can go in any direction.  I have very often made something everyone loved and because I didn't write it down the creation can't be repeated.  Another reason to blog.

End of Week Chicken

6 boneless chicken breasts
mushrooms
onion
pesto
gruyere cheese
roasted red peppers
spice blend (I used the everything bagel mixture this time)
chicken broth

Chicken searing & baking dish ready.
Butterfly the chicken breasts, sprinkle with spices, sear in canola or olive oil.  While they are searing prepare baking dish with a drizzle of olive oil, chopped onions, sliced mushrooms, lay seared chicken on top, deglaze pan with broth and pour over chicken in baking dish.  Spread pesto on chicken add red pepper,  and top with sliced cheese.  Bake at 350° till chicken is done.  I served it with a salad, not a lot of sauce but could be served over pasta.
Picked this up on my
   King Arthur Flour visit.




I roast red peppers under the broiler till
charred, let cool  & remove skin. 


No comments:

Post a Comment