Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Zucchini Ricotta Fritters



Zucchini is produced in such volume the recipes are endless, it works in many different formats & can be incorporated into a lot of recipes.  We are winding down the season production of a lot of vegetables so try to work them into as many meals as you can.  I shred, chop, puree, slice, roast, broil, grill adding vegetables anyway I can.  I have made Zucchini Pancakes for years and don't really use a recipe just sort of eye it, so this recipe for Zucchini Ricotta Fritters caught my eye.  They have more body then the pancake version, the ricotta adds a nice texture but they definitely need a sprinkle of a good coarse salt.  This recipe is adapted from Food & Wine's Mario Batali recipe.  I used what I had on hand so substituted onion for the scallion, used a dash of garlic powder to lighten the garlic flavor (I love garlic but not everyone here does), I used regular ricotta, and whole grain white flour.  They were actually easier to fry since they held together better than my usual method.  I might add some grated cheese next time to up the cheese flavor.


Zucchini-Ricotta Fritters


Ingredients:


2 med zucchini shredded
dash of garlic
1/2 of large onion finely chopped
1/2 c ricotta cheese
2 eggs
2 t lemon zest
kosher salt and pepper
3/4 c whole grain white flour
canola oil for frying

                        Directions:

Mix all ingredients except oil in bowl it will be a thick mixture.  Heat pan with oil about 1/2 inch deep to shallow fry fritters.  Drop batter by spoonfuls into oil, the faster they cook the less oil they'll absorb.  Remove from oil when both sides have browned and drain on paper towels. I like to tilt my dish they are draining on to help draw the oil away from them, just rest one side of the plate on a spoon or counter edge to tilt plate up.  They can be made earlier and then reheated to crisp them up in the oven.

















No comments:

Post a Comment