Sunday, March 25, 2012

Irish Butter Cookies

This tea cup is from my Grandmother, Alison Mae Yale Gibson's
 collection, she had beautiful cups and I loved that she used
 them everyday.  The tablecloth is hand crocheted by
my mom, Janice Irene Gibson Wildenstien.....I have
 an incredible line of craftsman in my
family.
Celebrating St. Patrick's Day I decided to try this cookie recipe from the USA Kerrygold Butter site.  It makes a delicious butter cookie, easy to make, and quick.  I had the Kerrygold in the tub so used about 1/2 a tub for the 8oz. of butter.  I wasn't sure if the tub version would work as well but they turned out great.  The main web site for Kerrygold is also worth a visit.  It explains why the butter in the tub softens easier, mainly they use summer milk to achieve this spreadable version.  However in the cookies when I refrigerated them it does get pretty hardened.  I had to let the dough sit a few minutes before I could slice them without cracking the dough.






Irish Butter Cookies

Ingredients:

2c all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
8 oz salted Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter at room temp
2/3 c granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg white
1/3 c granulated sugar


Directions:

Sift flour, baking powder, salt into medium bowl set aside.  In large bowl beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy using an electric mixer on med about 2 min.  Mix in egg yolks and vanilla.  Add flour mixture, mix on low speed just till soft ball forms.  Divide dough into 2 pieces roll into logs and wrap in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate at least an hour or overnight.  Can also be frozen but defrost in refrigerator before slicing and baking.

Position rack in middle of oven preheat to 350°F.  Line baking sheet with parchment.  Whisk egg white and brush on log of dough then roll in sugar cut dough into 1/4 in slices bake about 18 min or till edges are golden brown, allow to cool 5 min than transfer to wire rack.  Store in covered container for up to 3 days, makes 60 cookies.  I did not get quite that many.



I mixed some green sprinkles in the sugar.




No comments:

Post a Comment