Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Banana Muffins

This is a flour and sugar free recipe adapted from multiple recipes which turned out really well.  They rise nicely as they bake but as soon as they are out of the oven they begin to collapse.  The do retain a nice texture, lighter than I would have expected and very moist.  With such a super simple recipe these mix up quickly & bake in about 15 min.  You could change them up with different add ins, I used walnuts, chocolate chips, blueberries, but cranberries, any nuts would be good, diced apples the list is endless.  I also added 1/4 tsp almond extract the last time I made them for a slightly different flavor you could change that up also.  I first saw this recipe here: Fit and Healthy with Debbie she has some great recipes & lots of fitness information.


Banana Muffins

Ingredients:

2 1/2 c oats

1 6oz container plain greek yogurt

3 eggs

1/2 c agave syrup (honey works I just prefer agave flavor)

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

2 T ground flax seed

1 tsp vanilla

1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)

2 ripe bananas, cut into slices for better processing

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400° and prepare muffin pan even if I use paper cups I still lightly spray them with canola oil.

In food processor put dry ingredients oats, powder, soda, ground flax seed, run processor until oats are ground (just a few pulses for my processor).

Add the rest of the ingredients and blend well (banana lumps should not be visible)

I place one scoop of batter in each muffin cup paper then place the extras (nuts, chips, blueberries, apples, etc.) I'm using on top of that, fill the cups almost to the top, since they rise well but will deflate I  like the cup full.

Bake for about 15 min depending on your oven.













Batter is more than 12 muffin cups so I fill a ramekin with extra.


deflated right before my eyes





No comments:

Post a Comment