Saturday, March 17, 2012

Irish Scones





I will be making these again!  I often pass by scones remembering to many times getting them then realizing they are dry.  I have a memory of the most fabulous scones hot out of the oven on a trip to Ireland, and didn't think I could ever match them.  We were at the Castle Country House, Waterford, Ireland.  This recipe from Sandy Klim was printed in our last issue of AAA magazine, looking simple enough I decided to try it.  I like reading recipes & finding new ideas through them but almost always substitute, adjust, estimate the measurements.... so when it comes to baking I have to be more careful about that.  These scones are well worth the effort but I did enjoy them much better fresh made.  I might try them ahead of time and put the dough in the fridge overnight so that I could just bake them in the morning.

My adaptation of:

         Sandy Klim's Irish Scones

Ingredients:

1 stick frozen butter, I sliced mine lengthwise then crosswise to get small cubes she suggested grating the butter I found that the butter wanted to stick to the grater for me.

1/2 c skim milk
1/2 c plain Greek yogurt

2 c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp lemon or citrus zest
1/2 c sugar

1/2 pint blueberries

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425°

In small bowl grate or cube frozen butter, place in freezer.

Whisk together milk and yogurt, place in fridge.

Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, lemon zest, and sugar.  Toss frozen butter with flour mixture.  Then fold in milk mixture.  Lightly dust counter with flour.  Knead slightly wet dough about 6 times don't over knead.  Roll dough into 12 in square and fold it in half then in half again.  Wrap in plastic and place in freezer to re chill butter.  Dust the countertop with a bit of flour, roll dough to 12 inch square.  Top dough evenly with blueberries.  (freeze fresh blueberries and the blue color won't run into the dough) Press them into the dough slightly, roll dough up and slice into triangle shapes.  Brush with beaten egg a sprinkle of sugar and bake 15 min on cookie sheet in preheated oven.  They do spread a bit so allow some room in between them.  I have made them with blueberries and with dried cranberries both were great, hot from the oven they were at their best.
frozen grated butter, I now prefer to make tiny cubes but
they need to be very fine.  I found it quicker, with grating
the warmth of my hand kept softening the butter to much.
first rolling then re freeze 
scatter blueberries





bake till golden

blueberry scone

warm with butter--the best!

Cranberry scone

Our scones in Ireland, great memory.

Cinnamon and sugar sprinled over dough instead of blueberries.


No comments:

Post a Comment