Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie

     When I started this blog I was mainly interested in getting my recipes in order,  I have been taking photos as I go and now see where there will be even more to this blog.  It happened today as I took this cookie picture and reached for a better plate.  The plate is my mom's old china which she gave me a few years ago and I have used often.  Today as I took these photos looking at the plate reminds me of how many memories they hold.  My mother got this China when she was getting married (1957) she went to the store, picked a pattern she liked and her future "grandmother in law" purchased the set of China for them.  When my dad's mom saw them realized it was her same China, so this pattern was used at our house but also at my Grandmothers house for every dinner worthy of China.  I can't use them without thinking of the past.  In this photo the table cloth was also hand crocheted by my mom when we lived in the Philippine Islands (1969-1971).  These dishes are one of those items in my life that connects me to my history.  I now know as I continue to blog my recipes I will be digging up good memories also.

This cookie came by surprise, I love, love, love "Pot Belly Sandwich Shop" Oatmeal cookies and this is about as close as I have been able to find for making them at home.  Oddly enough I have tried a number of recipes online that just didn't quite make it,  when opening the Oatmeal yesterday I thought  lets try the recipe on the box.  Wow, cannot explain why I hadn't already tried it because so far this is really close.  They have just this slight salty taste that is just enough to add another dimension to the cookie---which is what I liked at "Pot Belly's"http://potbelly.com/Home/Default.aspx.  Also their sandwiches are the best if you are near one check it out, and make sure you get the cookie to go with it.

recipe from Quaker Oatmealhttp://www.quakeroats.com/home.aspx
(we use a lot of oatmeal at our house)

1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter-softened
1c packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup  all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt (I used kosher salt)
3 cups regular cook Oatmeal
1 cup chocolate chips (box lid says raisins)

Preheat oven to 350
Beat butter and sugars till creamy.
Add eggs & vanilla beat well.
Add combined flour, soda, salt, cinnamon and mix well.
Add Oatmeal & Chocolate Chips mix -- batter will be stiff.

drop by teaspoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheet, bake 11 minutes.

makes about 4 dozen

*walnuts added are good also

No comments:

Post a Comment