Thursday, February 10, 2011

Vegetable Parmesan

Yum, I saw this recipe and thought I would use it as a side dish but after making it I decided it is definitely a main course.  Originally saw this recipe on one of Giada De Laurentis cooking shows and have twisted it a bit to suit us.  It is really a favorite of ours and a great way to have a vegetarian meal since it can certainly stand as the entree.    http://www.giadadelaurentiis.com/

Vegetable Parmesan

1 eggplant peeled & sliced
2 zucchini sliced
1 fennel julienned
1 pkg mushrooms sliced
1 large onion sliced and separated
1 roasted red pepper cut up
favorite red sauce
mozzarella
Parmesan
bread crumbs (I use panko or whole wheat)

Eggplant, zucchini, and onion needs to be drizzled with olive oil and placed on cookie sheet and broiled turning to broil both sides---(if it is nice out these could be grilled).  Fennel and mushrooms I sauteed--- the mushrooms just till brown remove and then do the fennel in the same pan.  The original recipe had the fennel broiled or grilled but I found the fennel needed a bit more cooking so it softened through.  When all vegies are ready I cover the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan with sauce then layer of eggplant sprinkle with a bit of the cheeses, spoon some sauce over top, layer of fennel, cheeses some sauce, layer of zucchini, cheeses, some sauce, mushrooms,  onions and roasted red pepper to top it off add another layer of sauce, cheeses and then sprinkle top with bread crumbs drizzle with olive oil.  Bake till heated through about 15-20 min at 350 works for me.  Leftovers are great for the next days lunches.   Also just about any vegetable could be used I have had all different combinations depending what is in season, the fennel really gives a nice flavor to the whole dish.









this night I had added leeks that I sauteed with the fennel
just before I added breadcrumbs and then baked


angel hair pasta with olive oil and garlic, & greens, onions, walnuts tossed with baslamic vinagrette

The salad and vegetable Parmesan would have been plenty, I had already made the angel hair when I realized how filling this dish is.

No comments:

Post a Comment