Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Pizza with Whole Wheat Crust

I started making this when we couldn't get whole wheat crusts from the local pizzeria's, we now have a couple who do a whole wheat crust that is very good.  However this is so easy to make and I like being able to add to the crust different spices, grains or sometimes grated Parmesan.  I will make homemade sauce if I have time but have found some jarred sauces that are pretty good if I don't ...... if I am making homemade sauce it has to be able to simmer for a long time.

Pizza

Makes one very large pizza or 2 med.  I did a large and made small rolls out of the extra dough.

Crust:
 2 c whole wheat flour  http://www.kingarthurflour.com/
1 1/2 c white flour (haven't tried the whole grain white flour yet but am anxious to)
1 tsp salt
1 pkg rapid rise yeast
1 T olive oil
1 1/2 c warm water about 110degrees
corn meal (to prepare pan)

Put dry ingredients in food processor including yeast and pulse a couple times, I put olive oil in water and drizzle through processor tube while running do not use all of the water watch it start to form a ball and you know you are done.  Remove from processor and knead dough to form smooth ball, place in bowl that has light coating of olive oil sit in warm spot for about 10 -15  min.  If it is winter I warm the oven and then turn it off leave the door ajar and set the bowl in there, the rest of the year I feel the house is warm enough.

Sprinkle pan with corn meal.  Stretch dough to fit pan, roll if that helps you.  I usually stretch it to the desired shape and then roll out to get the exact fit.  I sprinkle pan with corn meal, then place dough on top.  Sprinkle dough with a small amount of grated cheese, then spread on sauce and add toppings.


-----my favorite brand never realized it makes a difference
until I tried this brand, it is available in our local stores

cover dough and let rise about 15 min

For a different taste I saute the onions and mushrooms till slightly  browned before putting on the pizza.  

Tonight I served it with salad and a Blue Moon.  As with a lot of homemade meals sometimes it just comes out better than others, or maybe we were just in the mood for it but tonight's was great.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment