Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Homemade Ice Cream





When I purchased my new Kitchenaid Mixer it came with a "rebate", not in money but in an attachment of an ice cream maker bowl.  Well I'm not going to turn down such an attachment, but had never planned to make homemade ice cream before this.  So I began the searches for the top ice cream recipes, the tips, the favorite flavors, ingredients, etc. I wanted something that sounded like a newbie like me could not mess it up.  David Lebovitz's blog came up with a recipe from Jenni's Splendid Ice Cream.  Having enjoyed reading his book "The Sweet Life in Paris" last year I went on his endorsement for this recipe.   I had convinced myself this was going to be one big mess but surprisingly it wasn't at all.  It turned out creamy, decadent, intense chocolate, so very good I will have to make it again.


Chocolate Ice Cream

1 c whole milk
4 t corn starch
1 c heavy cream
1 c evaporated milk
2/3 c sugar
2 T light corn syrup
1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder, natural or dutch-process
3 oz bittersweet or semi sweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 t sea salt
1/2 t vanilla extract (or 1 t chocolate)

Directions:  

make a slurry of your corn starch and a little milk in a small bowl.

In a 4 qt saucepan heat the rest of the milk, cream, evaporated milk, sugar, corn syrup.  When mixture comes to a moderate boil, whisk in cocoa and let it cook at a moderate boil for 4 minutes.  After 4 minutes whisk in the slurry cook for one minute stirring constantly until slightly thickened.

Remove from heat stir in chopped chocolate and salt, stir until completely melted and smooth.  Stir in extract.

Pour mixture into ziploc bag, then submerge bag into a bowl filled with ice and let sit for 30 minutes.  I placed the whole bowl into the fridge, my kitchenaid directions kept stating how important it is to keep everything as cold as possible.

Remove bag from ice and pour mixture into your ice cream maker following their operational directions.  I squeezed the mixture away from one corner snipped the bag and was able to empty the bag into the maker easily.










No comments:

Post a Comment