Sunday, December 12, 2010

Chicken Piccata

Chicken Piccata is an all time favorite of mine and just as good with Shrimp or fish.  There is something about the combination of chicken broth, lemon and capers that can't be beat.  I like this served over angel hair pasta so usually make plenty of sauce.  It also cooks quickly so is great for the night you are short on time to get dinner made.  If you are reading this blog or know me you have already realized I rarely use measurements because I mostly make things that aren't that precise.  I also adapt things to how many people are here for dinner which can change quickly.

Chicken Piccata

Chicken breasts {boneless, skinless, if you can get think cut great if not either pound them or for a quicker solution slice them crosswise not quite all the way through and then open them up like a book (otherwise known as butterflying them)}

flour (just enough for dusting each piece of chicken)
olive or canola oil
butter
garlic
white wine
chicken broth
lemon zest and juice
capers
parsley
salt and pepper

Dust each piece of chicken with flour and saute to brown each side then remove to baking dish, do in batches until all  chicken is done.


This particular night I did butterfly the chicken if you want it thinner you could also pound it after butterflying.



After all chicken is done deglaze pan with white wine (if chicken has left some burnt areas remove them) add garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, broth, parsley, capers, salt, and pepper to taste.  Let simmer just a few minutes sauce will slightly thicken I add a few tablespoons of butter right at the end just till slightly melted, immediately pour over chicken and place in oven to cook chicken through.






You can add butter earlier but it cooks down and I try to cut back wherever I can, I feel like the butter right at the end is enough to still give the sauce a rich flavor.  This could also be finished in your saute pan, I like sticking it in the oven which gives me a few minutes to get the rest of the dinner ready.  Serve over pasta, with a dark green vegetable, and a salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment