Sunday, April 10, 2011

Macaroni & Cheese

The all time best food ever.  I try to only make this occasionally because I could eat the whole dish myself.  I top it with whole wheat breadcrumbs & a little ground flaxseed for extra crunch.

Elbow macaroni
2 c skim milk
2T butter
2 T flour
garlic powder
ground mustard
fresh ground pepper
1 1/2 c grated cheese (4 different types works best)
breadcrumbs for crunchy top


Boil macaroni till al dente, drain, set aside.  In same pot melt butter, stir in flour to form rue, let cook 1 minute, stir in milk, spices and let thicken.  Add cheese stir till blended, mix in macaroni and spoon into buttered baking dish.  Top with a little more grated cheese and breadcrumbs.  Bake till bubbly about 15 min in 350 oven.

cheddar, gruyere, parmesan, blue cheese
I've tried different whole grain pasta
but so far this has the best texture

stir till thickened
add cheese and crumbs to top





No comments:

Post a Comment