Friday, August 5, 2011

Homemade Pop Tarts


Yep, you heard me right homemade Pop Tarts.  I haven't bought these in years but when I saw this at Tasting Table DC I had to try them.  Buzz's Bakery in the Clarendon area of Arlington, VA has just opened this location and Tasting Table posted an adapted recipe of their  Peach Pop Tarts.  From the photo to the memory of a pop tart I had to make them.  They are made with whole wheat flour.....so sorta healthy, right?  Well working with the dough was a little difficult it must be refrigerated each time you work with it.  This make for a time consuming recipe, the butter softens the dough so it gets sticky quickly.  I spread cream cheese onto the pastry instead of their method of rolling out the cream cheese to fit.  I also used a raspberry jam to try the recipe out.  Once the dough was mixed the only work was rolling out the dough and assembling.  Mixing the dough up the night before left my morning to just rolling & assembly.  While baking they spread out more than I would have liked, but they are better than any pop tart I have ever had.  I think with practice the dough would get easier, I am an impatient baker for sure.  The whole wheat dough is so good!  I will definitely use these Raspberry preserves again. I can't wait for my next DC visit it will include a stop at Buzz Bakery! Let me know if you have been there already.

my version:

Raspberry Pop Tart


Ingredients:
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 c granulated sugar
1 1/4 c whole wheat flour
3/4 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 c buttermilk

Directions:
With mixer beat butter and sugar till light & fluffy.
In medium bowl mix flours, powder, & salt.
Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter/sugar mixture.
When dough forms divide into 2 balls, refrigerate at least 30min. (I did overnight)
Roll out dough on floured surface to about 1/4 in thick (I did this between saran wrap for ease of handling)
Cut dough into 3x4in rectangles place on baking sheet lined with parchment. Chill 30min.
Spread center of square with a think layer of spreadable reduce fat cream cheese.
Then put a dollop of Raspberry Jam on top of that and spread over cream cheese.
Top with another square, and seal edge with fork or pinch closed.
Refrigerate another 30 min.
Remove and place in preheated 350° oven bake 25min.
When cool spread glaze on top.



Glaze:

Ingredients:

1/2 c Powdered sugar
3-4 drops vanilla
1 T water (to desired consistency)
optional drop of food color 

Directions:

                                                                      stir together and spread on cooled tarts


Love these preserves!




a gadget I have for crimping ravioli, worked great on these




Buzz Bakery
818 North Quincy Street
Arlington, VA

1 comment:

  1. I have not been to Buzz but I want to check it out now! -Nick

    ReplyDelete