Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Croque Monsieur



After arriving in France Croque Monsieur is the first thing I ordered because I knew what it was, I was starved, I don't think you can get a bad one anywhere in France, and it is so good.   A classic French version of a ham & cheese sandwich.  Every time I have ordered it you get greens tossed in a vinaigrette on the side.  Austin spent a semester in Paris and according to his "house mom" they serve the greens with most meals for better digestion, it is a good combo though.  I used Arugula & onion tossed with a Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette.  The Gruyere cheese is a must, you could use a Swiss cheese but it won't be as good.  My other favorite basic food in France is an omelet, anywhere I ordered this it was a good choice.  The favorite had to be this one at Mont St. Michel.





Croque Monsieur

Ingredients:

3 T butter
3 T flour
2 C hot milk (I used skim)
salt & pepper to taste
pinch nutmeg
12 oz gruyere cheese-shredded
sliced bread (white is traditional)
sliced baked ham
Dijon mustard

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°

Toast bread on cookie sheet in oven for 5 min flip slices over and toast 2 more minutes or till toasted.

Meanwhile melt butter in saucepan stir in flour to make rue.  Add hot milk slowly whisking as you do.  Once thickened remove from heat, stir in 1/2 of cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg set aside.

Lightly brush toast with Dijon, layer ham, then some of the grated cheese top with other slice.  Spread sauce over top allowing to run down sides, add grated cheese on top of sauce.  Bake for 5 min, then broil for 2-5 min till tops are golden.  Serve hot.  I lined the cookie sheet with Aluminum foil for easier clean up.











Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette

1/4 C lemon juice
3/4 C olive oil
1 T Dijon mustard
salt & pepper
1/2 tsp Thyme

Shake to blend then toss with greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment